L. B. “Jeff” Jefferies has gotten himself hurt taking a photo in the middle of a race track. Now his leg is in a full cast and he’s cooped up at home, passing the time spying on several neighbors in across the courtyard. His insurance company nurse Stella visits and scolds him as a peeping tom
Why Jeff might be hard to identify with: He complains he’s turning into “a lonesome and bitter old man.” He doesn’t want to marry Grace Kelly! Who can identify with that?? “If she was only ordinary… I need a woman who’s willing to go anywhere, and do anything, and love it.”
- Distinctive object: cast.
- Stubborn. Doesn’t want to get married.
- Photos turn his past into objects.
- Stuck in a sweltering apartment: “Six weeks sitting in a two room apartment with nothing to do but look out the window at the neighbors”
- He gets a tip about a great assignment he can’t have.
- His nurse has a withering summation of his personality.
- Distinctive tool: camera.
- We see amazing photos he’s taken, putting him at the center of danger
- Resourceful, figures out how to scratch his itch with a wooden spoon.