- You email me your manuscript (novel, screenplay, teleplay, etc.) in script format if it’s a script (pdf or Final Draft), or double-spaced 12 pt text (Microsoft word or rtf) if it’s prose.
- You include an email telling me what you want to do with it and what sort of notes you’re looking for.
- I read it and mark it up, usually about one annotation per page.
- I then write you an in-depth editorial letter, about 4-8 single-spaced pages, with notes for pushing the manuscript in the direction you want it to go.
- I also do documents under 20 pages, such as treatments, for a minimum of $40.
So what’s the price? $2 per page of your manuscript. So a 60 page TV pilot would be $120, a 120 page screenplay is $240, a 240 page novel manuscript is $480, etc. It’s not cheap, but it’s pretty comprehensive and my customers have mostly let me know that they’ve been eminently satisfied.
My work has been about 50/50 between writers who have agents and writers who don’t (There are a few agents who sent their writers to me for notes.) It’s been tremendously gratifying to help some people hone their work until it gets them an agent and/or gets published (One author who took my notes got a starred review in PW when his book got published.)
So feel free to contact me at MattMBird@yahoo.com. Hopefully I won’t be too backed up when you get in touch.